CONTENTS - FAWKNER - BIOGRAPHY INDEX Access PointerFirst & Second Fleet Families to Sydney Cove & Hobart Town

                                                                                                           John Fawkner 
                                                                                   Convict - 1st Fleet to Hobart Town, Tasmania 

                                                                                                                Part 2
                                          Marriage - Trial [Old Bailey London] - Transportation - Settlement

                                                       [Part 1 - John Fawkner's Parents & early life in Birmingham, Warwickshire]

                                                                                              Spouse 1: Hannah nee Pascoe 
                                                                                            Spouse 2: Ann Archer [no issue]
                                                                                            Spouse 3: Eliza Carr [no issue]
                                                                                     Marriage 1:  John Fawkner [aka John 'Pascoe' Fawkner] [1792-1869] 
                                                                                     Marriage 1:  Elizabeth Fawkner [1795-1851]

                     1772:  Birth;        
                                     John Faulkner [Fawkner] was born at Birmingham, Warwickshire  baptized on the 7th May 1772 at the Unitarian 
                                     New Meeting House in Moor Street,  Birmingham the son of John and Mary [nee Barnett] Faulkner. 

                                     John had three known siblings;
                                               Mary Faulkner baptised 7th Feb. 1770 at the New Meeting House Moor Street-Unitarian in Birmingham
                                                                           Mary appears to have died between 1770-1779.
                                               Thomas Thompson Faulkner baptized on the 2nd  February 1775 at the same venue.
                                                                           No further information for Thomas & no Link has been found for 'Thompson'.  
                                               Mary Faulkner baptised 15th July 1779 at Saint Martin, Birmingham with the same parents.
                                                                           After a thorough search of the LDS, FHO and NBI John & Mary appear to be the only 
                                                                           Faulkner family recording baptisms in Birmingham at this time, therefore this considered 
                                                                           to be the same family.  
                     1792 - Marriage; 
                                      At the age of twenty-one John Faulkner married eighteen year-old Hannah Pascoe at St. Giles Church at Cripplegate,
                                      London on the 13th January 1792. John was 5’6” tall  [NSW State Records]. 
                                                Hannah Pascoe was born into a family of moderate wealth around 1773, the daughter of John & Elizabeth Pascoe.  

                                      John worked as a metal refiner in London and at the time of his marriage.

                     1792-1795 - Issue;
                                       Child 1: John Fawkner [the younger] was born on 20th October, 1792, baptized in the Jewin Street Independent, 
                                                            Greater London on the 30th November 1792. 

                                        Between 1793/4: Child 2 & 3: Were said not to have survived [J.Billot].

                                       Child 4: A daughter Elizabeth Faulkner was born on 7th February 1795, baptized two months later in the Jewin Street
                                                       Independent on the 10th  March 1795.

                    1795-1801:  According to his son's memoirs which are said to be the source of much of the information in the book by J. Billott;
                                        'The Life & Times of John Pascoe Fawkner', the family lived at No. 2 Parkers Lane, Drury Lane.  
                                         Hannah's parents had only recently purchased a house in Cock Lane. 
                                         The memoirs further tell that when the child was young and with John and Hannah possibly hard pressed to make 
                                         ends meet and Hannah’s parents, with Hannah's unmarried sister offered to take on the responsibility of their son 
                                         and his education. 
                                         John and Hannah agreed and later moved to nearby 11 White Cross Street. 
                                         Certainly John and Hannah were living at White Cross Street during the early period of 1801 where John had a 
                                         workshop and furnace adjacent to the house.
                                         The house at White Cross St. appears to have had a workshop.

                    1801: The Trial [Old Bailey London];
                                         John it seems enjoyed the company of his friends as evidence points to this habit in his later life.  
                                         Certainly he was familiar with the Bell Inn at Red Lion Market also in White Cross Street where he was said to be 
                                         in receipt of Stolen Goods and subsequently tried at the Old Bailey, London 1st July 1801. 
                                        The full details of John's Trial is transcribed at the 'Old Bailey' Online Site 

                                        Abridged Version; 
                                                      On the evening of Thursday, 30th  April 1801, he was asked to accompany the publican’s wife 
                                                      Mrs. Hayes to the tavern’s back room as she had something to show him.  
                                                      Joining them was Thomas Collett, a soldier of the 3rd Regiment of Guards, to whom John was 
                                                      introduced upon which John was shown a bag of jewelery and was asked if he could melt down
                                                      the gold and silver.  
                                                      He agreed and the three men left for his workshop. 
                                                      The jewelery was stolen, owned by John Weppler, a planter from Jamaica who had arrived in 
                                                      London the previous evening when he had discovered his trunk with its contents of jewelery  
                                                      valued at over £1,200 missing.  He immediately reported this to the Bow Street Police.  
                                                      It was Thomas Collett who was later proven to have stolen the trunk.
                                                      Meanwhile at John’s workshop, the thief appeared and presented John with two pearl pins as 
                                                      a gift to John’s wife Hannah. 
                                                      During this time a reward was posted by Weppler and within hours, the young barmaid working 
                                                      at the Bell Inn who had overheard the backroom conversation was the one to tell the story of the 
                                                      transaction to the Police and claim the reward.  

                                                      John Fawkner, hearing that there was trouble brewing hid but was eventually arrested by the 
                                                      Bow Street Runners to be held for Trial.  

                                                      Six weeks later, on the 1st July 1801 at the age of twenty-nine, John Falkner was tried at the Old Bailey 
                                                      Court charged with 'Receiving Stolen Goods'.  John was found guilty and sentenced to 14 years transportation.  
                                                      Thomas Collett received 7 years transportation. 

                                                      After the Trial John was sent to the Woolwich ‘hulks’ [derelict ships used as prisons] where he was stripped, 
                                                      washed, shaven, chained and set to work awaiting his fate in a new land.

                     1802: Hannah arranges for herself and her children to accompany John per 'Calcutta' as Free Settlers; 

                                    Hannah was intent on keeping her family together and after learning of the exact Transport on which John would be
                                    assigned.   She gained permission to travel on the same Ship with her children as a 'free settler' together with several 
                                    others who had also arranged passage on the 'Calcutta' [2nd voyage to the Colony] leaving from Portsmouth, Hampshire. 

                                    Hannah received news of John's scheduled departure on the 10th February at Portsmouth and according to J. Billott
                                    she left London with the children around 9th February.  
                                    The trauma of Hannah and her two children leaving England was said to have affected Hannah's devoted father who was
                                    implied to have died two days later.

                     1801-1802: Hannah's parents die; 
                                    According to JFP's memoirs [per J. Billott] Hannah's mother had died in 1802 and 'the good Mr. Pascoe died on the 12th 
                                    February 1803'. Subsequent research showed two burials that could apply; 

                                                          Elizabeth Pascoe:   Buried 26th June 1802 at Bunhill Fields*, recorded aged 70yrs, 
                                                                                            Address at death: Glass House Yard [Aldersgate St.].
                                                          John Pascoe:            Buried 12th February 1803 at Bunhill Fields, recorded aged 80yrs, 
                                                                                            Address at Death: Glass House Yard.
                                                          *Bunhill Fields Burial Ground in London is only a very short distance [about a 1/4 km as the crow flies] 
                                                          west of White Cross Street.

                      1803:  Hannah's Journey to Portsmouth;
                                 The doubtlessly uncomfortable journey by Coach from London to Spit Head, Portsmouth, Hampshire, a distance of 64 miles 
              [                  102.7kms SW [as the crow flies] would have taken the best part 7 hours.

                                 However according to the content of the said memoirs [per J. Billott] the 'Calcutta' had been delayed and did not reach 
                                 Spithead [Portsmouth] till mid February 1803.  

                                The convoy comprising two Ships ‘HMS  Calcutta’ under the command of D. Woodrife and the chartered transport 
                                'Ocean' and 'Calcutta'  was to be commanded by  Lt. Gov. David Collins assigned to establish a settlement near a little 
                                 inlet off Bass Strait to be named Sullivan’s Cove.  

                                The Ships did not leave Port till the 22nd April 1803. 

                                Hannah and the children Johnny now eleven and Elizabeth aged nine were designated to embark per 'Calcutta' the 
                                same ship which carried her husband John.  

                               Hannah was said [memoirs] to have been displeased with her allocated sleeping quarters and 'paid the boatswain Wyatt, 
                               20 guineas for his cabin in the forecastle'. [The money that Hannah was known to have carried with her, which helped 
                               her in this case and later in the new settlement doubtlessly came from her devoted father].
                               Some interesting short snippets relating to the voyage can be accessed

                    1802:  Leaving England - The Voyage; 
                               Although Hannah would return to England for three years in 1813, John Fawkner and his children would never again
                               see their Motherland.

                               Young Elizabeth affectionately known as Betsy - 'was ill and unhappy for most of the voyage' [Billot], although their were
                                six children documented to have traveled on the voyage would have made it a little more bearable.
                               The Convoy took supplies at different Ports en route and the Equator was crossed on the 10th June. 
                               J.Billott  describes the voyage. 
                                           'The next day the ‘Rio Nova’ a slave trader was encountered and boarded by the Officers, found to have aboard  
                                             several hundred slaves.  Resuming the voyage 'Calcutta' and 'Ocean' battled high seas and became separated. 
                                             Seven weeks after rounding the Cape, King Island was sighted the rough seas preventing them from getting 
                                              close to land.  The next morning's weather calmer, the entrance to Port Phillip was sighted.   
                                             On the 7th October 1803 the vessel sailed through the entrance to find the ‘Ocean’ lying at anchor, having arrived 
                                             two days earlier.  Ten days later, on the 19th October Hannah and her two children were landed while the convicts 
                                             unloaded the supplies'.

                               Also onboard the 'Calcutta' were two persons who would figure in the lives of the Fawkner Family.  
                                             The Reverend Robert Knopwood;
                                                                 He was a heartless man and would perform many of the Ceremonies relating to the Fawkners.  
                                                                 Young Johnny Fawkner hated him and in later life had much to say about Robert's intemperance 
                                                                 and cruelty.  
                               Another personality was twenty-one year old;
                                             Thomas Green; 
                                                                  Tom Green a convict, had a pleasant and likeable character [later documented]. 
                                                                  He was sentenced to death, later commuted to Transportation for Life at the Old Bailey 
                                                                  accused of stealing a horse.  
                                                                  Seven years hence Tom would marry John & Hannah's daughter Elizabeth Fawkner [aged 14yrs] 
                                                                  and have two children before his premature death three years after their marriage, buried at the age
                                                                  of twenty-nine. 
                                                                  Thomas Green Trial at 'Old Bailey' can be found online; 

                    1803:  The aborted Settlement at Sullivan's Cove; 
                                 On landing, it was said [J. Billott] that according to Johnny's memoirs 'his mother was again not happy with her allocated 
                                 accommodation especially in sharing a small tent with two other families and John built a rough hut.'

                                 The convicts going further inland to cut logs for a 380-feet wharf, timber-carriages were made, each with two wooden 
                                 wheels some eight feet in diameter, the logs were loaded and helped down the rough mountain track to the beach.  
                                 The women did the washing and cooking of meals and with the children were sent to fetch any edible food they could.  

                                 The site proved unsuitable and after persevering for a further few months but in January 1804 the Group boarded the 
                                 overcrowded ‘Ocean’ bound for Van Dieman’s Land, the 'Calcutta' already having departed  for the South China Sea.  
                    1804:    They sailed into the Derwent River on 5th February and a search was made along the river for a suitable place for a 
                                  settlement.  The spot chosen is where Hobart stands today.   

                                 Hannah  and the children plus the remaining people came ashore on the 16th February.  
                                 As before Hannah could have shared a tent, but she preferred to build their own hut and John complied. 
                                 A more permanent structure was attempted but young Johnny too small to undertake much of the work and John 
                                 assigned to his convict chores Hannah used money she had left to hire convict labour to finish the project. 
                                 Young Johnny later described in his memoirs [per J. Billott]; 

                                       'The frame of our hut consisted of natural timber, four inches in diameter, sunk two feet into the ground.  
                                        These posts were set two  feet apart and joined with laths or wattles, the interstices being filled with mud, 
                                         dry grass acting as a binder.  The  roof was round, with poses for rafters and wattled with branches and 
                                        thatched  with swamp grass and reeds.  The door  was at first a canvas blind, and the window spaces were left 
                                        uncovered except for shutters used at night to keep out the cold.  Eventually a large chimney of timber and 
                                        turf was erected with a sandstone hearth.'

                                   The detailed story of this early settlement and the events that followed were written in a Journal later published 
                                   in the Hobart 'Mercury' available online in several issues. One such excerpt can be found at; 

                     Hobart Mercury Extracts from Original Journal relating to the early settlement of Van Dieman's Land;

                                                In the beginning of July as the harsh Van Dieman Land winter set in.
                                                'July 10, 1804: 
                                                Early in the morning, Knopwood and Governor Collins, as magistrates, attend the flogging of two prisoners, 
                                                John Rogers* and Thomas Green, both receiving 100 lashes. With that job out of the way, Knopwood joins the 
                                                Governor for a hearty breakfast'..  

                                               *John Rogers was a 20-year-old convict from Sussex, who at first led a difficult life but then settled down as a 
                                                 farmer in the Clarence Plains area where he kept sheep and cattle. 
                     A week later -  Extracted the Journal; 
                                       July 19, 1804.   Knopwood comments in his Diary:   “A very bad night of wet”.
                                      Further in Johnny's memoirs [J. Billott] during the course of later months the Falkners’ hut was burned down, only a few
                                      articles were saved.   Some of Hannah's personal treasures and a box belonging to John with a silver plate engraved with
                                      his name and a boxwood casket.  Young Johnny was later to blame his father's intemperance for the disaster. 

                    1804 Muster;
                                      In the muster of August 1804 John was recorded owning 1 pig.  
                    1806 - John's Land Grant;   

                                     On the 1st January 1806 John was granted 50 acres of land at Brown's River, north of Hobart.  
                                     A house was far from a viable project with little money, John's lacking the knowledge to construct such a large project 
                                     on his own and Johnny now fourteen, not much help being short and underdeveloped.  

                   1806:  Hannah returns to England;

                                     Hannah appears to have began to consider the legacy she knew her father had left her and began plans to return to 
                                     her sister in England mid year and claim her inheritance to return with the needed funds.  

                                     'Securing passage as a servant to Mrs. Bate, wife of the Deputy Judge-Advocate, who was returning to England for 
                                      personal reasons, Hannah left Hobart Town on the 4th August 1806.'  [JPF memoirs per J.Billott].

                    1806-1809:  John manages with the children in Hannah's absence; 

                                     After Hannah’s departure John, with his young son and ‘little Betsy’, left their hut in Hobart Town and moved out 
                                     to the land at  Brown’s River.  Here John, doubtlessly aided by some of his convict friends on promise that they
                                     would be paid on Hannah's return; 

                                                  'built a solid dwelling on the small section of land they had cleared beside the rivulet.  
                                                   Made of wooden slabs and roofed with shingles, it had a solid  wooden door.  
                                                   The lower floor was divided into two rooms by a bark partition, and a small attic bedroom 
                                                   in the roof could be reached by a portable ladder.' [J.Billott]

                     1806:   The Bushrangers' encounter; 
                                    Johnny's memoirs [J.Billott] give an account of the end of the first year in the house on Christmas Day 1806 when 
                                    their father had gone to town.  
                                    The children were visited by two bush rangers Samuel Tomlin and William Russell.  
                                    After being threatened the children managed to escape and on return the next day found the house ransacked and 
                                    most of their possessions gone. 

                                    The bushranger Tomlin was known to the children, having come across from England aboard the 'Calcutta' as a 
                                    convict on their same voyage. Russell also a convict had been brought down to VDL from Port Dalrymple. 

                                   After this event the New Year saw John Falkner settle down and with his son Johnny helped in the fields and clearing
                                   the land Betsy, now aged twelve, took her mother’s place in maintaining the cooking, cleaning and household chores. 
                    1808:  New Settlers arrive; 

                                  During the following years some new settlers arrived who had been evacuated from Norfolk Island, NE of Sydney Cove. 
                                  The settlement there although prosperous, supporting the Colony in the earliest days, was now considered too hazardous
                                  for shipping and the settlement was abandonded.  

                                  A mass evacuation of all families from the Island was ordered. The settlers were given large grants of land in 
                                  Van Dieman’s Land which reached far inland and it was in September 1808, four years after the Falkner’s arrival at 
                                  the mouth of the Derwent River, that the Lucas family was one of the first to take up the grants offered in the area.
                                  They had four sons, the second son Richard a year older than Elizabeth who by now was 13 years old.
                                  They quickly began to clear the land and initially erected a crude dwelling.  

                                  During the following months other families were also given huge grants of land and thus followed the O’Brien 
                                  family, Thomas & Susannah with their children and George Porter [former convict] with his new bride 
                                  Susannah O'Brien [daughter of Susannah O'Brien] of the former family, all settling at Brown’s River.  
                     1809:   Hannah returns to Hobart Town; 

                                  With her inheritance in hand, Hannah's return from England was noted in the May 1809 Muster which showed the 
                                  Proprietor John Fawkner with wife and two children living at Hobart Town.  
                                  The farm had progressed favorably with five acres in grain and a large quantity of various livestock.

                    1809:   Young Daughter 'Betsy' Elizabeth Fawkner marrries at age fourteen; 

                                  Elizabeth ‘Betsy'  was by now fourteen and during the time her mother was away she had formed a friendship with a 
                                  familiar face in young Tom Green formerly per 'Calcutta'.
                                                 Tom Green was said to be a pleasant young man and very well liked. 
                                                  In the early days at Sullivan’s Cove he was known to have caused a furore when, with a companion 
                                                  was involved in an attempted escape, which very nearly succeeded and although the details are unclear, 
                                                  the attempt was so ingenious that even the Lt. Governor seems to have formed an admiration for his 
                                                  initiative, granting him a Conditional Pardon on the 11th May, 1807 in spite of his misadventure only 
                                                  a few years prior.

                                  On the 13t October, 1809, fourteen year old Elizabeth, married Thomas Green aged 23, in a ceremony attended by 
                                  her parents and performed by Rev. Robert Knopwood at Hobart Town.  
                                  The Rites were witnessed in the Church Register by Francis Barnes, the Church Deacon and Elizabeth's 
                                  sixteen-year-old brother John.  
                                  Elizabeth was given a grant of 50 acres near to her father’s farm and Tom began to work hard, soon winning the respect 
                                  of the entire small community.

                      1810 - 1811:  The first grandchildren;

                                  Exactly a year after their marriage their first child Thomas Green was born in October 1810. 
                                  Within a few months Elizabeth was pregnant again.
                                  In the new year of 1811 Sarah Eliza Green was born.  The Christening was delayed for a year. 

                     1812:   Son-in-Law Tom Green dies prematurely; 

                                 Thomas Green was buried on the 11th December 1812 aged twenty-seven, just 13 days after their little daughter’s 

                                A small community, doubtlessly the Lucas and O’Brien families heard news of Tom's death and his sixteen-year-old 
                                widow and her two young children.

                    1813:   Elizabeth's infant daughter, Sarah Eliza Green died;

                                In the beginning of  winter on the 10th April, 1813 Elizabeth's infant daughter Sarah joined her father, the cause 
                                unknown, her age in the Register given as 16 months.  
                    1815:  Young Johnny is sentenced to three years at Newcastle Goal; 
                                Two years later young Johnny  who even by now stood only 5’2” tall had always been an Idealist. 
                                To add to the family’s troubles, he had developed sympathies towards the Colony’s convicts and on the 23rd August 1814 
                                was sentenced to 500 lashes and sentenced to 3 years at Coal River (Newcastle) for helping seven young convicts to escape
                                from Hobart Town.  The Colonial Secretary's Papers [online] Records two entries at this period; 

                                           1] '3rd Feb. 1815: Prisoner on board "Kangaroo" from Port  Dalrymple; listed as Fawkner 
                                                (Reel 6045; 4/1732 p.14a)' 
                                           2] '10th February 1815: On list of prisoners to be sent to Newcastle per "Lady Nelson"; listed as Fawkner 
                                                (Reel 6004; 4/3493 p.451)'.  
                     1816: Young Elizabeth remarries; 

                              While her brother was away Elizabeth began a relationship with the son of the neighbouring Lucas Family. 
                              Richard now a Constable was a year older than Elizabeth and at the age of twenty Elizabeth gave birth to a daughter, 
                              Ann Lucas on 6th June 1816.   Richard and Elizabeth were married four months later, the newspaper announcement  reads:
                                                                'Marriage:   Tuesday  13th October,  1816 at ‘Cottage Green’  
                                                                                      Richard Lucas to Elizabeth Green – widow of the late Thomas Green.'
                     1817: John Fawkner's business interests develop;           

                               During this time John and Hannah had kept the Farm, although they also purchased a house in Hobart Town where 
                               Hannah was more comfortable. With the Farm doing so well, and their new found wealth from England, John soon 
                               purchased a Bakery in Hobart Town and had his 'finger in the pie’ in many business ventures one of which was a 
                               partnership in a Saw Mill.  

                     1817:  John Fawkner seeks compensation for Stolen money owed by Govt. Stores; 

                               It was around 1817 that John Fawkner previously entering into an  agreement to supply wheat from the Farm to the 
                               Government and a large quantity of  the grain was sent to the Stores. P.J. Hogan, employed by the Government was then
                               to allocated the money to pay John. Unfortunately Hogan had spent the money sent to him from the Commissariat. 

                              On October the 8th John sought recovery of the money, appearing several time as witness in the Proceedings 
                              [Col.Secretary's Papers: Reel 6046; 4/1737 pp.174-5: Nov 6,13 1817]  regarding numeration for expenses incurred as witness
                               in the court martial of Hogan.  [Reel 6046, 4/1737pp148,153-4].  

                              John was called to Sydney at the Governor’s expense on 6th November 1817 returning home a week later on the 13th.  
                              During that time he stood as witness in the Court Marshall and subsequent Civil Trial of Hogan.   
                              He was remunerated for his expenses relating to the Trial only.   

                              John again appeared at Sydney, traveling on the ‘Governor Macquarie’ on the 7th January, appearing as Fawkner.  
                              He returned to Hobart Town per the same ship appearing on the “List of  Passenger’s proceeding to VDL at the 
                              Governor’s expense. [Col.Sec.Papers:  Reel 6005; 4/3497 p 300].  

                              It appears that he did not receive compense for the wheat shipment.
                              John took matters into his own hands two years later, but more of than further on.  
                    1817-1818:  Young Johnny returns from Newcastle Goal and marries; 

                              During this time [late 1817] young Johnny returned from Newcastle Jail having completed his Sentence.  
                              Added to the news of his father's plight, were the good tidings that his sister had married so well and that her husband 
                              Richard had accepted so readily his little nephew Thomas, the son of poor Tom Green.  

                              After his Grueling time in New South Wales Johnny only wanted to content himself in a quiet life, and appears to have 
                              had involvement in his father’s Bakery at Hobart.  It was during this time Johnny had bought a property and cottage 
                              Macquarie Street in the main town from his father and by October 1818 Johnny had decided to take a wife. 

                              Many convict ships brought with them the arrival of women in the Colonies and was cause for great excitement.  
                              Men rushed to the ships to choose a 'wife'.   
                              According to Johnny's memoirs [per Billott] one such ship arrived in Hobart on the 11th October 1818.
                              Johnny was amongst the men waiting for the vessel to disembark its female cargo and he chose the handsomest girl onboard.  
                              She was willingly accompanying him when they came upon another fellow who laughed at Johnny’s intentions, knocked 
                              the little man aside, walking off with the woman.  Johnny strutted back to the ship and chose the homeliest looking girl onboard 
                              said to have had a pock marked face and a caste eye, Eliza Cobb.  

                                          “and marry her I did, ladies and gentlemen” the middle aged Johnny said grinning many years later, 
                                          "and there she sits smiling at you now, and she has been a good wife to me for thirty–five years”.
                                            [Actually Johnny did not marry Eliza till 1822 four years after the incident at the wharf].

                                           Eliza Cobb was born in England and not the most handsome of woman.  
                                           At the young age of seventeen, she was employed as a maid  in Kensington, London 
                                           On 17th September 1817 she was sentenced to 7 years transportation for 'feloniously and maliciously' kidnapping 
                                           a four-month-old baby boy.   
                                          At her trial it was stated that on apprehension she had told the constable that the child was her own.  
                                          The infant had been in her keep for two days and was seen as wanting.  When asked about its condition she stated 
                                           that she had lost her milk.   
                                          It is considered that Eliza in fact did have an infant child at that time and it had died.  
                                          In her grief she sought another to take it’s place. 
                                          In his long and well publised career and many documented interviews with friends during his life Johnny Fawkner
                                          nor the family ever mentioned having a child of his own. 

                                         This child in England is considered the same child mentioned on Eliza's 2nd Marriage Certificate in 1871;
                                                                                    'previous issue:   1 child - deceased'.
                                          Eliza’s Trial is available at 'The Old Bailey' Site: 
                               Eliza and Johnny appear to have moved into Johnny’s house at Macquarie Street and then on to the 90-acre farm grant 
                               that he had been given. 
                    1819:  John Fawkner [senior] takes matters into his own hands against the Government Stores re compensation for Grain;

                              It just prior to this time that his father John Faulkner had made several visits to Sydney in attempts to redeem the money
                              owed to him by His  Majesty’s Government stolen by Hogan, but his pleas fell on deaf ears.
                             Setting out to take matters into his own hands, John and a few of his mates made plans to rob the Government Stores at 
                             Hobart by way of compensation for his losses.  They were caught and young Johnny was also unjustly implicated in the crime.

                             On the 24th  July 1819 the Newspaper article reads;  

                                                'On Tuesday last a full bench of magistrates sat for the trial of several Crown  prisoners charged with 
                                                  robbing His Majesty’s Store, when the following were severally convicted and sentenced: 

                                                      John Fawkner [the elder], Patrick Boyle and Thomas Farrell, receive 200 lashes each, and to be transported to 
                                                      Newcastle for the term of 3 years. 

                                                      Samuel Lyons and John Morris, 200 lashes, and 4 years in Newcastle. 

                                                  On the same day John Fawkner Jnr. a free man was bound to his good behaviour for twelve months 
                                                  – himself in 40 pounds and two sureties of 20 pounds each.' 
                              It is doubtful that John Fawkner [the elder]  ever served his sentence nor in fact ever saw Newcastle Goal and at no time 
                              since was there any mention of a whipping.  The General Muster only one month later in October 1819 showed  him 

                                                            ' living on a 90-acre grant at Hobart Town with a wife and four servants.  
                                                              Noted with twenty acres were in wheat, 2 in barley, 4  in beans, 
                                                              10 in potatoes and 14 in pasture.   He had 28 cattle and 270 sheep.”  
                                                              He was also reported to be “in general business for 13 years in Hobart Town; 
                                                              and a baker in Macquarie Street.   

                            It was a month further to that, John and Hannah were noted in the Hobart Town Gazette on the 13th November 1819, the 
                            article reads;
                                                             'There is now in the farm of Mr. John Fawkner senior in the District of Glenorchy, 
                                                               several acres of fine wheat in full bloom; which should the weather prove favourable, 
                                                               will be the earliest  crop ever known to have been cut down in this Colony.”
                     1819:  Young Johnny & Eliza move to Launceston; 

                             It was subsequent to the Trial that John [the elder] announced that he had decided to leave the farm and return to
                             Hobart Town.  
                             This news came as a relief to young Johnny and Eliza, for relations had become strained in the Fawkner household.  
                             Johnny implies in his memoirs [J. Billott] that there was much noise in the house due to his father's many friends 
                             staying late at night and his father's constant intemperance.  

                            Johnny was also said to have been annoyed with his father, that he had been implicated at the recent Trial and made up 
                            his mind to sell his 90 acre grant of  land at Glenorchy and move with Eliza to Launceston to start a new life.
                            At Launceston he was later recorded to have worked successfully in various enterprises including a bakery and founded 
                            the 'Lauceston Advertiser'. 
                            He obtained a license and built the 'Cornwall Hotel' later purchasing the schooner 'Endeavour'. 
                            While in living at Launceston Johnny finally married Eliza Cobb on the  5th December 1822.  
                            The Chaplain John Youl and the Ceremony was witnessed by Robert Waddingham and William Belleridge [Clerk].
                            [The Ceremony was said to have been performed in a Blacksmith's Shop with the anvil used to support the bible]  
                     1820:  John Fawkner & Hannah return to Hobart Town; 

                                Meanwhile on John and Hannah had returned to Hobart Town and John conducted a small bakery at 23 Macquarie Street
                                opposite the House re-purchased from Johnny where he dabbled in Real Estate. 
                     1821:   January 20:   Hobart Town Gazette: Advertisement;

                                              'To be sold, a neat brick house situate in Bathurst Street containing four neat rooms
                                                in repair, with a large garden in good condition planted with potatoes and other 
                                                vegetables, lately occupied by Antonio Martin.  It commands a fine prospect of  the
                                                town and harbour, and is a very desirable  situation for a genteel family. 
                                                Applications to be made to Mr. John Fawkner  or to John Murray on the premises.'

                    Six months later;  1821  July 14:   Hobart Town Gazette: Advertisement;

                                               'To be let or sold by private contract, a capital and commodious two story dwelling
                                                 house situate next door to Mr. Fawkner’s in  Elizabeth Street corner of Melville Street
                                                 and without dispute the most eligible for a  public house or other public line of business
                                                 or for a genteel residence.   Apply  to Mr. Fawkner proprietor.”
                    By this time their daughter Elizabeth had given birth to five children by her husband Richard Lucas.

                    1822:      Over next few years Hannah's strength slowly waned.  

                                   Either John or Hannah appear to have considered going home to England. 
                                   In 1822 a notice appears in the Gazette which took the form of a statutory advertisement in John senior’s name a 
                                   then a mandatory requirement  by anyone intending to leave the Colony.  
                                   He never left, it is possible that Hannah would not have been well enough to travel.

                     1825:    Hannah dies;  

                                  By Christmas 1824  Hannah grew very weak.  Three weeks later, Hannah, who was considered to be the strength of the 
                                  Falkner Family, who had come from the love and warmth of her devoted and wealthy parents, followed her husband 
                                  through the rough terrain of an infant Nation and remained a faithful mother and loyal wife, suffering the indignation 
                                  of an intemperate husband for over thirty-three years, Hannah Fawkner nee Pascoe died at the recorded age of fifty-one
                                  at her home in Hobart Town buried on the 17th January 1825 recorded by W.Bedford.
                                  Obituary: Hobart  Town Gazette 21st January 1825; 

                                                    'Died – on Saturday last after a lingering  illness, Mrs. Fawkner, a resident for many years
                                                                 in this island, having arrived with the first fleet in 1803*.” 
                                                                 [*meaning 1st Fleet to Van Dieman’s Land].

                                  Hannah was survived by her husband John, her two children and six grandchildren by her daughter Elizabeth.    

                      Young Johnny encoporates the middle name 'Pascoe' into his own;

                                   It was at this time that her son Johnny began to incorporate his mother’s maiden name 'Pascoe' into his own, using it 
                                   for the rest of his life.  He became to be known from this time onwards as 'John Pascoe Fawkner'.

                     1825:    John Fawkner Snr. remarries; 

                                   By October that year, just nine months after Hannah's death, John now fifty-five remarried on the 7th October 1825 
                                   to thirty-seven year-old widow, Ann Archer [nee Jones] much to the disgust of his son, who considered his father’s 
                                   mourning  period not nearly long enough.                     
                     John Fawkner [snr] continues his Real Estate interests;
                                  John senior now fifty-five continued his business ventures in Hobart Town as many advertisements in the Gazetteer show.  
                     1835:   The discovery of the City of Melbourne; 

                                  All went quietly for John senior while his son remembering the cove at Port Philip on the other side of the Tasman and
                                  planned to commence a settlement.  He purchased the schooner ‘Enterprise’.  John Batman also had the same idea. 

                                 Due to complications preparing Johnny’s ship, John Batman preceded him to Port Phillip setting sail in May 1835 on the
                                 sloop ‘Rebecca’ and was already exploring the northern parts of the area.   
                                 Johnny sent the ‘Enterprise’ on a pilot expedition three months later in August.  
                                 The history of the founding of the City of Melbourne had begun.    
                    1841:    John Fawkner [snr] 2nd wife dies; 
                                  John [senior] and his new wife Ann continued their marriage living in Hobart Town where on the 6th November 1840 
                                  John purchased land in Elizabeth Street for 350 pounds.  

                                  A year later on the 4th December 1841 Anne died of dysentery at their home at Macquarie Street, Hobart Town at the 
                                  age of fifty-three.  Their sixteen year marriage produced no issue.  

                    1842 Census;  

                                  John Fawkner was now seventy-one years old.  
                                  The 1842 Census taken on the 1st January, records that John Fawkner snr. was living alone in Mole Street, Hobart Town
                                   in a weatherboard dwelling.  His Religion noted as a ‘Protestant Dissenter’.  He had no servants.

                    1846:   John Fawkner snr marries for the 3rd time; 
                                 At the age of seventy-six John Fawkner snr married fifty-four-year-old  Eliza Carr at Melville Street Chapel in Hobart 
                                 Town on the 23rd December 1846.  Eliza was nearly the same age as John's daughter Elizabeth.
                    1851:   Daughter Elizabeth dies; 

                                Five years later, on the 24th April 1851 news reached the aging John that his daughter Elizabeth had died at Kingston, 
                                on the property owned by her brother-in-law John Lucas not far from the old Fawkner Farm.  
                                Elizabeth died of an abscess on the lung at the age of fifty-six.  
                                With his daughter now gone there was nothing to keep the aging John in Hobart Town and not long after the news of  
                                Elizabeth’s death John and his wife new Eliza crossed the Tasman to live with his son John Jnr. at Pascoevale, Melbourne.

                    1854:  John Fawkner snr dies; 

                                John lived a further four years and died on the 24th September 1854 of  Bronchitis at Pascoevale, Victoria at the age of  
                                84 years.  
                               He was survived by his 3rd wife Eliza nee Carr of eight years marriage. There was no issue from this union.  
                               He was also survived by his son John ‘Pascoe’ Fawkner and ten grandchildren by his daughter Elizabeth, including 
                               Thomas Green [the younger] the son of Tom Green and an large number of great grandchildren.
                               John was buried at the New Melbourne Cemetery, a Tombstone was not erected till 25 years later.  

                   Eliza Fawkner [nee Carr]:  Widow of John Fawkner [3rd Marriage]; 

                            After John's death Eliza continued living at Pascoevale with her stepson and his wife Eliza [nee Cobb].  
                            The couple were very fond of her.  
                            Eliza lived a further four years and died in May 1858 at Pascoevale at the age of sixty-six. 
                            She lies beside her husband John Fawkner snr. at New Melbourne Cemetery.

                  John Pascoe Fawkner: Only surviving child of John Fawkner.  

                             John & his wife Eliza together with Johnny's step-mother Eliza continued living at Pascoevale.  
                             Only months after his father's death he wrote to his brother-in-law, Richard Lucas and his nephew John Richard Lucas, 
                             offering the education of one of their daughters in exchange for her companionship to the two Mrs. Fawkners. 
                             [This gesture mirrored his own education paid for by his beloved grandfather John Pascoe.] 

                             Richard's daughters were by now older and married, however his son John Richard had lost his young wife by drowning 
                             in that very year, left with four young daughters and a son. 
                      John Richard Lucas sent his thirteen-year-old daughter Ann Lucas to the Fawkner home. Several letters ensued. 
                             See transcriptions of the Letters by John Pascoe Fawkner to his nephew in the Biography of John Richard Lucas.Access PointerBiography of John Richard Lucas  

                             The excerpts below were found at URL

                                          'Johnny and Eliza had no children of their own, they were said to foster many children and adopted two;
                                                   Amelia Lancey (daughter of Captain John Lancey) was known to live with them.

                                                  Sarah Jane Walsh, daughter of  Barrister John Joseph Walsh*  who came into their care 
                                                                    after John Joseph Walsh's 1st  wife died].  
                                                                    They had become so fond of little Sarah Jane that they later persuaded 
                                                                    John Walsh to allow them to adopt her after he remarried. 
                                                   They also adopted Annie Williams from the South Melbourne Orphanage and 
                                                   christened her Eliza Ann Fawkner[* Barrister, John Joseph Walsh later married Eliza Fawkner nee Cobb, the widow of John Pascoe Fawkner.
                                            At the time of their marriage Eliza was aged seventy and John Walsh aged forty-four. 
                                            At Eliza's death in 1879 he was left an allowance from her Estate for the duration of his life.     
                                           John Joseph Walsh subsequently married John Pascoe Fawkner's grand niece the daughter of John Richard Lucas 
                                           i.e. Ann Lucas who was reared by the Fawkner Family since the age of nine [see Epilogue].
                                           At the time of their marriage John Joseph Walsh was eight years Anne's senior.]     
                              John often had many dignitaries at their home and was heard to describe Eliza as his "guardian angel and true friend”. 
                              A guest at their table Mr. James Louis Willis from Plenty River wrote in his diary;  

                                                                   “Dined at Fawkner’s, praised Mrs. Fawkner’s curry-rabbit,”   
                                      and also added;  “her extreme condescension and affability to her guests is sometimes quite overwhelming”.  

                              Johnny continued his pioneering work in his beloved city of Melbourne for a further eleven years becoming an Esteemed
                              Politician and Statesman of the City.   

                              John Pascoe Fawkner died Testate on the 4th September 1869 at his home at Smith Street, Collingwood at the age of 
                              seventy-seven. His funeral procession was accompanied by over 200 carriages and 15,000 persons were reported to have 
                              lined the streets.

                              The Hon. John Pascoe Fawkner. M.L.C. died Testate, buried beside his father and step-mother at Melbourne Cemetery.  
                              His Tombstone was not erected till 10 years later.  
                              John Pascoe Fawkner  was survived by his faithful wife Eliza of fifty-one years marriage and their two adopted daughters.  
                              His principal beneficiary was his wife Eliza.
                              He also bequeathed one eleventh each of his estate to his six nephews and two nieces by his late deceased sister Elizabeth’s
                              two marriages.

                              There is much written about Johnny's life in various web sites and publications devoted to his life.  
                              His personal manuscripts and his memoirs, which form part of the content of this page are held at the Victoria State Library

                    Eliza Fawkner [nee Cobb], Wife of John Pascoe Fawkner:

                               Fifteen months after Johnny’s death, his widow Eliza, then aged seventy, forty-four year old John Joseph Walsh the father
                                of her adopted daughter.  [Eliza gave her age as fifty-six on the marriage certificate and also noted one child, deceased].  

                               She lived a further 10 years and died Testate on the 8th July 1879 at the age of seventy-eight. 
                               Eliza left an estate worth £9,000.  Her beneficiaries were her adopted daughters, Sarah Ann [formerly Walsh) and 
                               Eliza Ann Wiseman [formerly Eliza Ann Fawkner nee Annie Williams]. 
                               Her husband John Walsh was left an allowance for the rest of his life.
                               He later married John Pascoe Fawkner's niece the daughter of John Richard Lucas i.e. Ann Lucas who was reared by the
                               Fawkner Family since the age of nine [see transcription of letters above].
                               In her later years Ann Lucas surrounded herself with memorabillia, papers,  person possessions and furniture belonging
                               to her beloved maternal uncle John Pascoe Fawkner.  [Newspaper clippings with photos available]
                               Eliza also bequeathed the sum of  500 pounds, allocated to erect a Monumental Tombstone for her first husband, 
                               John Pascoe Fawkner at Melbourne Cemetery, which still stands today.
                              She was buried beside her first husband 'Johnny' John Pascoe Fawkner at Melbourne Cemetery, also sharing the grave 
                              with her father-in-law John Fawkner senior and his 3rd wife Eliza Fawkner.  
                              A photo of the Tombstone and Inscriptions can be found at various sites online.
                     Grandchildren by his daughter Elizabeth Lucas [formerly Green nee Fawkner]:   

                              Information on the Lucas grandchildren of John Fawkner & his wife Hannah nee Pascoe by their daughter Elizabeth can be 
                             found in the Epilogue relating to the Story of their Parents Richard Lucas & Elizabeth Fawkner.Access PointerBiography of Richard Lucas & his wife Elizabeth Lucas [formerly Green, nee Fawkner]
                     Thomas GREEN [The younger]: Son of Tom Green and Elizabeth Fawkner [1st marriage]; 
                              Thomas continued to live with his mother and her 2nd husband Richard Lucas at Brown’s Creek.   
                              He was said to have married Mary Selina Bott at Hobart Town in 1846.

                  John Richard Lucas: grandson of John Fawkner and Hannah nee Pascoe;
                              He remarried and moved to Melbourne.  He died on the 30th June 1883 aged sixty-five as a result of  'injuries accidentally
                              received by getting off a train whilst in motion'.
                              See Biography of John Richard Lucas. Access PointerBiography of John Richard Lucas   

                      Ann Lucas:   daughter of John Richard Lucas; 
                              Reared and educated by John Pascoe Fawkner and his wife Eliza nee Cobb; 

                             The outcome for his daughter Ann can be found the Epilogue to the Biography of her father, John Richard Lucas.