Scard Family History  - One Name Study
~ North Dorset Branch ~
Iwerne Minster, Iwerne Courtney (Shroton), Shillingstone, Fiddleford and Henstridge (8miles Nth)
Last updated 17th July 2013
Home Page
Contents Index
Our Ancient Roots
Ancient Fragments - Under Construction
North Dorset Branch
William James Scard [1859-1940] (Hurst/Ehlers) - Self
The Scard Wives
Abraham-Miller Family extended - under construction
The Family Legend
"That one of our ancestors was very Wealthy, a miller, and that subsequently 
part of the Family's Wealth was lost in a Card Game"
Submitted by a descendant of Charles Scard  [the son of James Scard of Henstridge].
There is evidence to suggest the truth of this Legend in every respect.
              Researched, compiled and written by J.S.Adams (granddaughter)
James William Scard    -  Emma Hurst  -  Ivy Sophia Ehlers
                 [1959-1840]                       -     [c.1731-1752]      -             [1893-1976]
                                   of N.S.W. and Queensland, Australia
         Marriage1: 1884: Lillian Grace Scard at Kempsey, NSW 
                              1886: Unnamed daughter at Kempsey, NSW  –  Died a child 1888
                              1888: Unnamed child at Kempsey, NSW  –  Died in childhood
                              1889: Unnamed child at Kempsey, NSW  –  Died in childhood
                              1890: Unnamed child , Kempsey, NSW  –  Died in infancy 1890
                              1891: Frederick Scard at Frederickton, NSW    
                              1893: Ruby Emmeline Scard at Emu Vale, Qld - Died in infancy
                              1894: Maud Emmeline Scard at Emu Vale, Qld - Died in childhood
                              1896: Retea Norine Scard at Emu Vale, Qld 
                               1897: Annie Scard  at Emu Vale, Qld  - Died same  day 
                              1899: William James Scard at Emu Vale, Qld
                              1902: Harold Agustus Scard at Emu Vale, Qld
                              1905: Vincent Scard at Casino, NSW
         Marriage2: 1914:  Ronald Henry Scard at Tygalgah, NSW
                              1921: John Pascoe Fawkner Scard at Glebe, NSW
                              1924: Sylvia Milbah Susan Scard at Penrith, NSW - died 1933 age nine
                              1925: Betty Scard at Penrith, NSW
Dorset, England 
Above: The old Mill House at Shroton (Iwerne Courtney), Dorset, England, 
             the Scard Family home and where the Scard children spent their 
             early years from 1765
Beneath:  Artist's impression of an Early England Post Boy awaiting a reply. 
             The Occupation of William James Scard's Grandfather in England
             when he was a young man. 
                                                                  William James Scard 
                                                                                              of N.S.W. Australia
                                                                               Researched, Compiled and Written by Judith S Adams (Granddaughter)
                                                                                                         Family Photos - Click on Images to enlarge
                                 William James Scard                                          Spouse1: Emma Hurst                               Spouse 2: Ivy Sophia Ehlers
                                                 [1859-1940]                                                                          [1863-1910]                                                     [1891-1976] 

                                                                                                “With Special Tribute to his son Harold Scard [1902-2004]”
                                                 Harold was the twelfth child of William James Scard, born to his first wife Emma nee Hurst. 
                                                                 In 1962 while visiting his daughter Helen and her family who lived in Malaya, Helen encouraged 
                                                                 him to write the story, his parents and his childhood and in general his life. He completed the 
                                                                 task on the 10th June 1987 with amazing detail. In 2004 Harold was still sprightly at the age of 
                                                                 102, when he had a slight fall , scraping his knee while raking the leaves in the garden. Although
                                                                 only a minor abrasion, he was sent to hospital for observation as a precaution against possible 
                                                                 shock and bed rest was suggested within hospital. Deprived of his much loved exercise, walks and 
                                                                 independence, he weakened while in hospital and rapidly deteriorated.  Harold passed away in 
                                                                 his sleep six weeks to the day of his fall. Much of the information below, expounding his childhood
                                                                 has been extracted from his memoirs.

 1859-1871:  William James Scard was born 5th October 1859, baptised 25th Dec 1859 at Grafton NSW the eldest son of James Scard and his wife Mary [nee Candy] 
                     both of whom had immigrated from England on the same Ship two years prior. William had four full blood siblings.  The family was deserted by their 
                     father when he was nine years old, his mother struggled to survive and William entered into an Indenture on a nearby farm where he was ill treated. 
                     Ultimately his mother remarried and more several children were recorded. .  

1872 - 1880: A new life; Four years later, around  1872 his mother Mary formed a relationship with Henry Hillary the son of John & Ellen Hillary, John a native of 
                      Manchester, Lancashire who had immigrated in 1841. Mary was unable to remarry.  Moving from the small township of Grafton and settling at south at 
                      Bellingen NSW where a year later Mary gave birth to William’s first half  brother Stephen Hillary born in 1873.  By this time William was 13 years old, 
                      Alfred ten and Geraldine eight. Three years later Mary gave birth to a daughter Berthenier Hillary on the 25th Oct. 1876, followed the next year by 
                      Isaac Henry Hillary 10th Dec. 1877 and the youngest Ellen Elizabeth Hillary was born four years later 8th Feb. 1881. 

                     During this time William had left his mistreatment at the Farm and was apprenticed to a carpenter.  Under the wing of his new master became a highly 
                     skilled tradesman.

1881-1882: Young sister Geraldine leaves home: In 1882 William's sister, Geraldine 'Theresa' now seventeen applied to Sydney Hospital to begin training as a nurse.  
                    Accompanied by her mother and stepfather, arrangements were made for Theresa to board at Sydney Hospital and begin her training. Whilst in Sydney, 
                    Mary and Henry Hillary were married at William Street, Sydney on the 1st March 1882 subsequently returning to Kempsey.
1882 - 1883: William James Scard marries Emma Hurst: During the first year since Geraldine had left for Sydney, William now twenty-three and his brother Alfred
                     remained living with their mother and stepfather Henry, at Kempsey.  It was during this time that William formed a relationship with Emma Hurst. 
                     Emma Hurst was born 30th August 1863 at Newcastle, NSW the daughter Isaiah and Sophia.  Emma had five siblings baptised at the same venue. The 
                     Family had been settled in the Kempsey area for about five years prior.  Emma was the granddaughter of the renown British Landscape Artist 
                     Joseph Mallord William Turner.  Emma's mother, Sophia nee Booth was previously the 2nd mistress of the Famous Artist before leaving England. 
                     William Scard and Emma Hurst were married at West Kempsey on the 8th November 1883.  Both Emma’s father Isaiah and William’s brother Alfred 
                     witnessed the marriage. 
1884: News of young sister Geraldine (aka Theresa) Scard's Death: The Christmas of 1883 passed and nine weeks later in March 1884, word arrived from the 
                     Sydney Hospital, Geraldine had contracted Typhoid Fever and did not recover. During her two-year Term, she was endeared by all the Staff.  
                     Administration informed the family that they would arrange the Headstone for her grave paid by the Hospital Board.  Geraldine Theresa Scard 
                     died on the 11th  March 1884 and was buried at Rookwood Cemetery, aged nineteen. The name on her Tombstone is 'Theresa' Scard. 
                     The Inscription reads; 
                                                                                                                ' Theresa Scard'                                                                     
                                                                                                   'From illness contracted during the
                                                                                                      performance of her duties in the 
                                                                                                                Sydney Hospital.  
                                                                                                     Erected by the Board of Directors.'
1884:  Brother Alfred Scard marries: Two months later Emma gave birth to a daughter Lillian Grace Scard on the 24th May 1884. A few  weeks later William’s 
                      brother Alfred married Amy Eveline Rudder the daughter of Julian John Rudder and his wife Mary Ann nee Chilcot at Kempsey.   Amy’s family 
                      had been resident at Kempsey for many years, her father was the first to settle in the area and was renown as the founder of the township. 
                      Further reading for the Rudder Family see:

1885-90: The Scard children:  About 12 months later Emma and Amy were pregnant simultaneously, sadly oth infants died within a few months of birth. Over the 
                      next five years four more children were born to William and Emma but none survived infancy. Alfred and Amy had another daughter Sylvia Scard 
                      born in 1887 and a son Charles Gerald Scard was born in 1890.  Later moving to Manly in Sydney the couple separated around 1902.   The marriage 
                      was never reconciled and neither remarried. 

1891: The move to Emu Vale, Queensland: For a short while William and Emma moved about 5 miles north to Frederickton a tiny town on the Macleay River 
                      where their sixth child Frederick Scard was born in 1891. It was around this time that William’s mother Mary and his stepfather Henry Hillary 
                      decided to move further North to the NSW/Queensland border to the small town of Emu Vale near Warwick. William and Emma with their new 
                      baby Frederick and daughter Lillian, now six followed. 
1893: Henry Hillary dies and William's mother moves to Yangan:  Two years after their arrival, William’s step-father Henry Hillary died and Mary moved to 
                     the township of Yangan 4 miles north of Emu Vale, where she conducted a small mixed business in order to maintain her young family.  William 
                     had purchased a farm at Emu Vale and was in constant contact with his mother and siblings, Stephen Hillary now 20, Berthenier Hillary 17, 
                     Isaac Hillary 16 and Ellen Hillary twelve. Mary writes the epitaph for Henry's Tombstone;
                                                                                    In Loving Memory of Henry Hillary
                                                                                    born at Sydney 27th September 1845
                                                                                    died at Emu Vale 4th November 1893
                                                                                    Sleep on dear husband take your rest
                                                                                    For God has called when He thought best
                                                                                    The loss is great that we sustain
                                                                                    But we hope in Heaven to meet again.

1892-1904  The Farm at Emu Vale:  William and Emma remained at Emu Vale where William purchased a section of land from local resident Mrs. Page, comprising 
                  a hundred acres at Emu Vale.  It was here that William built his first house and farmed his own land, growing wheat and maize.  Working the farm over 
                  the next twelve years, during this time, between 1892–1899 five more children were born, only two, Retea Norine and William James survived;
                                                              Child 7: Ruby Emmeline Scard born 4th Aug 1893 at Emu Vale - Died aged three months Nov 1893.
                                                              Child 8: Maud Emmeline Scard born 7th Oct 1894 - Died two days before her 1st birthday 5th Oct 1895.
                                                              Child 9: Retea Norine Scard born10th July 1896
                                                              Child10: Annie Scard born 8th Oct 1897 - Death registered on the same day.
                                                              Child11: William James Scard born 27th April 1899. 
1899-1902:  William's mother remarries - The Great Drought: Later that year William’s mother Mary had remarried in 1899 at the age of sixty-one to widower 
                    John Williams. Both Mary and her new husband continued working at Yangan and later moved to nearby Ingleburn where they purchased a small mixed 
                     business in that village. It was this year that the ‘Big Drought’ spread throughout the whole East Coast of Australia.  South West Queensland was worst 
                     hit during the three years from 1899–1903.  Cattle dropped from the ten thousands to mere hundreds, the nearby Killarney’s Falls ceased to flow and the
                    Condamine River went dry, the effect on the farmlands was devastating. William struggled to keep the farm going as the drought worsened during which
                     time another child, Harold Agustus Scard was born on the 2nd April 1902, delivered by the local midwife who was their friend and neighbour Mrs. Page.
                     With the farm and his work of ten years slowly disappeared under the merciless effects of the drought.  To make ends meet he began working as a 
                     carpenter on ‘light’house repairs and later employed as a builder in the township constructing many homes in the area, juggling his farm duties.  
                     During this time he built the Emu Vale Hotel, a weatherboard construction.  By 1902 their eldest child Lillian was now eighteen, Frederick and Retea
                      attended the Emu Vale Public School while the youngest William [junior] was three years old and Harold an infant. 
                     William's first Camera is Purchased:  William added to his skills an interest in photography. It was around this time that he invested in his first camera, 
                     a Thornton-Pickett whole plate size [this camera was donated to the Power House Museum in Sydney by his son Harold Scard in 1987].   His interest in 
                     photography expanded and he developed the photographs from his own glass plates. Another means of income, he conducted a shop taking portraits locally. 
                     [Two such plates still survive today] Intermittently he began working in a Photographic Studio in Brisbane to learn more of the art.  His most treasured 
                     photographs were those of his children. 

1903  William loses the Farm: With the rural industry devastated, the very next year in 1903, the Bank of Queensland foreclosed and like many farmers in the area 
           William lost his 100-acre farm. This was the turning point in William's life. He loaded all their belongings into their two horse wagonette and a migratory 
            pattern followed that would take this small vehicle, with his children walking beside back and forth, through dirt and gravel roads, over hills, through rivers
           and down steep causeways up and down the NSW North Coast where his children went to endless schools. This restless pattern spanned well over forty years 
           and 5,000 kilometers over his lifetime. William would never again put ‘all’ his savings in one bank and he would never again work a farm for more than 
           twelve months.  Legend states that during the initial journey the load became heavy and at least one trunk containing the Family Bible and many other
           precious memorabilia was thrown into a dry well.   It has never been recovered. 
1905: The Journey southward: Moving  southward, by 1905 they rented a house at Casino in North West NSW and here their last of Emma's thirteen children, 
           Vincent Scard was born on the 16th April 1905.  At this time Emma was forty-two and William forty-five. All six of their surviving children were still living with 
           them.  Lillian, the eldest was twenty-two, was taught music during her childhood at Emu Vale and was now a music teacher, Frederick was fourteen, Retea nine, 
           William  jnr. six, Harold three and of course baby Vincent.  The house at Casino was on a hilltop and their son Harold remembers in his memoirs;                  
'My brother Frederick had an old push bike.  One day he put my other brother William aged about seven on it and let it run down the hill.  Not far down the bike collided with a wire fence, down went the bike with Bill between the handle bars, I was panic-stricken as it looked as though the handle bars had gone right through him.' Photos below L-R: Frederick, Retea and William; William's Invention: Whilst farming at Casino, William invented a device, which dropped a required amount of grain at intervals into the furrow and then covered it.  He contacted a manufacturer in an effort to sell his idea and was offered five pounds.  Finding the offer totally unsatisfactory, when he left the property some time later, he burnt the device but only the wooden part was destroyed.  Later his idea was developed and marketed by the same manufacturer.

1906:  Move to Coffs Harbour, NSW:  In 1906 William packed his family in the cart with a few pots and pans, bedding and a tent and he and Emma journeyed
            on the main coastal dirt road southward to Coffs Harbour where he purchased a small residential block of land close to the Jetty.  Harold writes;
                                   'At the back of the house dad had built his studio, the roof partially of glass to let in the light for his photographic work.'  
           No longer having a farm to tend, William earned his living by working as a Carpenter in the township whilst he also ran a photographic shop from the house.
           William was commissioned in 1906 by the Presbyterian Church to build a Church on the vacant block of land next door. A 20-pound contract was agreed and 
            with his team, the construction was erected of weatherboard. Harold talks of the time they spent at Coffs Harbour  when he was about four or five years old;
                                  'We lived about a quarter of a mile from the North Road [now the Pacific Highway] on the road leading to the jetty town.  
                                   Where our house once stood is now built the Manse of the adjacent building the Presbyterian Church. The Original Church 
                                   was of weatherboard  and was built by my father and his team in 1906-7.'
                                                                         Photo dated 1907.  The Old Presbyterian Church , Coffs Harbour, taken just before completion. 
                                                                                                        The trees cut down to clear the land are still visible in the front yard.  The 
                                                                                                        Church held there its first Service on the 17th  November 1907. William lived 
                                                                                                         next door where he also ran his Photographic Shop.
                                                                         Taken from a clipping from 'The Advocate' Newspaper, Coffs Harbour dated 8th October 1957  
                                                                                                         when the Church was demolished. The Historic Article mentions William Scard.
                Harold continues;
                               'At that time there was a very unliked constable in the town, his name was ‘Harper’ he one day retrieved his bicycle 
                                from the beach, someone had thrown it into the sea from the jetty.'  'A short way from the back of our house was a 
                                small creek that led to the sea, father had a flat bottomed boat and on occasions took us on picnics to the sea, on one 
                                trip the water was so clear I thought it to be shallow so decided to wade ashore, but I was mistaken, father jumped in 
                                and hauled me back into the boat.'
1907:  Daughter Lillie marries at Coffs Harbour - The Return to Emu Vale: During this time Lillian now twenty-three married a young German by the name 
               of Bernard Goldman at Coffs Harbour on the 9th November 1907.  Bernard had a General Store in the small township [on the site where Woolworth’s 
                now stands]. By 1913 he was living in Woolgoolga with notices of insolvency published in the Sydney Morning Herald.  Soon after Lillie’s wedding with 
               the Coffs Harbour Church now completed, William sold the house adjoining the church to Angus McLeod and they again packed up the wagonette and 
               moved northward to Emu Vale Queensland, leaving Lillie behind to begin life with her new husband. 

The long, arduous trek along the old north road took just under a month, camping each night at any clearing they could find along the way and where water was available for the two horses. When they reached Brisbane the two younger boys contracted measles and were admitted to the Brisbane Hospital.  After Harold and William recovered and were discharged, the family continued the journey along the westward road [now Cunningham Highway] and over Cunningham’s Gap. Harold writes;
' ‘The Gap’ was just a gravel road with big stones and very steep.  Going uphill was a matter of all out and push to help the horses, my mother did her share. Going downhill we walked for safety, the wheels skidded on the rocks and the horses were unable to hold back the vehicle.  They were unhitched and large branches of trees were cut and roped on so the wagon could be dragged to the bottom of the hill. We finally reached Warwick, and a few miles out of that town was the small village of Emu Vale where I was born.' Arriving just before Christmas whilst there, the family stayed with William’s youngest half sister Nellie [Ellen-nee Hillary] who had since married Matthew Pettigrew, a Lucerne Farmer in the area. William’s mother Mary was still living at Yangan working in her mixed business and the usual family visitations were made. Harold remembers his grandmother and her shop well. Christmas was spent with all the family, catching up on the news and local gossip. Once the festivities were over, with prospects at the Vale unpromising, after a short time William made up his mind to return south just a few weeks after the New Year.  1908: The Return Journey Southward: In the early hours of the morning before the heat of the summer sun had dawned, the horses were again tacked, Frederick now seventeen, Retea 11, William Jnr. 8 and Harold five helped with the loading and little Vincent now two years old was placed in the front of the wagonette with his mother. Calling in to see Lillie and her new husband on the way through, they traveled past Coffs Harbour about 30 miles to the Bellinger River arriving around April 1908.  With a yearning for the land re-ignited, William purchased a property from Mr. Pollock, the local cordial maker about two miles from Fernmount, the farm with house just a short distance from Repton.  Harold writes: 'The front of the old weatherboard house was at ground level. The back was well elevated as the hill it was built on was steep. At the back of the house was an orchard with Citrons, limes, oranges and other trees and at the bottom of the hill there was a large swamp area with many ti-trees, while lower down the hill was the swamp. Dad had built a small flat-bottomed boat to go duck and ‘red billed’ shooting, the water being fairly deep. My mother did the washing of clothes in galvanized tubs, the boiling was done in kerosene tins over an open fire, the soap was home made using tallow and caustic soda. There was also a large shed close to the road where the wagonette, harness etc. was kept, the whole front was open and the Indians passing through on foot used to make this their stopover for the night. I often talked to them [Harold was then 5 years old] and was given a piece of the ‘johnny cake’ [a thick hard pancake] they cooked over a small fire. At the front of the house mother had a small shop, the grocery items came by ship from Sydney and were unloaded on to the Droger [a small shallow draught ship which could get close to the river bank] at Repton. On these occasions we children would help our mother carry the goods across the paddocks and up the hill to our house. The road was not graveled and in wet weather was churned up clay by the horse’s feet.   One day a Circus was going through, the horses could not grip the road, so the circus hands put bags around the trunks of the elephants and they pushed from the back of the wagons.' Young Frederick now helping his father on the land, Retea and Bill went school at Raleigh Primary a few weeks after arrival on the 11th May 1908. Harold started there the next year on the 29th January 1909. Harold writes about the fun they had when walking to the school;
                                'The Raleigh school was about two miles from our house it was a matter of walking along a cart track through the bush and in 
                                the deep dust, of course we were barefooted but this was no worry to us.  We took no notice of the snake and lizard tracks 
                                over the road.  We were fortunate in having our neighbours the ‘Craig’ boys and girls with us, they were much older, and it 
                                was fun to see them chase goannas and belt the whip snakes that were in the small bushes. At that time 1909, the Bellinger 
                                River was crossed by a small hand operated vehicular punt, this was close to where the present Railway Bridge now stands 
                                at Repton.' 

1909:  The Family moves 50kms North to Woolgoolga: Lillie’s husband Bernie sold the shop in Coffs Harbour and bought another mixed business at Woolgoolga 
             27 kms north. In the early part of 1909 Retea went to stay with her sister and attended Woolgoolga School, by October she had returned to her parents and 
             the Raleigh School. A few months later the William sold the farm at Repton and moved to Woolgoolga. Harold writes;
                                'We shifted to Woolgoolga where we children went to school. This village was small with just a few shops, quite a lot of the 
                                 men folk were employed in the timber industry.  The British Australia Timber Company had a narrow gauge railway line 
                                 which ran into the mountains bringing back logs onto the jetty where they were loaded onto the cargo boats destined for Sydney.'

1910: Halley's Comet heralds a move to South Grafton:  Harold writes simply; 'It was here that trouble began.' 
             Early in 1910, as Halley’s Comet was seen clearly dragging its long tail through the heavens, the horses were hitched to the wagonette and William moved 
            his family north to his birth place at South Grafton. The children attended the South Grafton School.  Later in the year they moved to North Grafton in 
            Queens Street almost opposite the Goal.   The children then attended the Bacon Street School. Harold writes; 
             'Like other houses we relied on tank water and in the dry season the well water was used. With the lack of sanitary conditions, 
                                   deep holes were used to dispose of human waste, in the wet season this contamination would rise to the surface and the water 
                                   from the well would become infected.  Frederick was the first to be hospitalized with Typhoid Fever, on discharge Retea followed.  
                                   She recovered but Harold was next followed within a short while by Vincent.  When both boys recovered the family moved 
                                   downstream to Lawrence where they set up camp across the road from the Presbyterian Cemetery.  It was here that Bill contracted 
                                   the same disease and was admitted to Maclean Hospital.'

            Emma Dies: By now it was late in the year and while Bill was still in hospital, on the 22nd October Emma was admitted also strickened with the disease. 
            Of all the family she was the only one not to recover.  The same disease that took William’s nineteen-year old sister Geraldine Theresa’s life twenty-six 
            years before was also to take the life of his wife Emma. The children recovered but Emma died three weeks after admission at Macleay Hospital on 
            12th November 1910 at the age of 47yrs. She was buried at the Presbyterian Cemetery at Maclean.  She was survived by her husband William of twenty-six
            years marriage and her six surviving children, Fred 18, Retea 14, Bill 11, Harold 8 and Vincent 5 years old.    Harold's entries recalling his feelings at 
            his mother's death are withheld, he later continues; 
              'And so we went on from Maclean making our way north to the now Warrego Highway and eventually reached Gatton. On this 
                                      occasion we camped near the railway bridge spanning a small stream and after the heavy day's work the horses were hot.  My 
                                      brother took them into the cool water and during the night one of them died, so father sold the remaining one and had the wagonette
                                      loaded on to a railway truck, the canopy being too high, the wheels had to be taken off. We went on by train to Warwick and then 
                                      on to Inglewood [Inglewood is very close to Emu Vale in Queensland].  This village is in the center of a wheat producing area and 
                                      shop owners rely on the farmers for their livelihood, this was also the position with my Grandmother, Mary Williams.'
           It was at Inglewood that William’s half sister Berthenier had married and her husband Jim Rigby managed a small timber mill and also grew wheat on his
           property, William worked there for a while. While there the children attended school at Inglewood.  The circus came during the year and the children were 
           fascinated.   It was not long before William again moved the wagonette south. Moving to Murwillumbah where William’s eldest daughter Lillian and her 
           husband Bernard Goldman by now had a barber shop in the front of their large residence, having sold their shop at Woolgoolga some time before.   
           William and the children stayed here for a while in Lillie’s large house. where the children attended the small school at Murwillumbah.  It would be soon 
           after this that their father would buy a farm a few miles south at Tygalgah on the Queensland/NSW border on the Tweed River.  This event would be 
           followed by the arrival of their new stepmother.  A new era was about to dawn. 
1911-1912: Tygalgah:  The property was two miles down the Tweed River from where they were staying with Lillie, at Tygalgah just north of Murwillumbah where
           William bought a small 50 acre farm alongside the Tweed River.  Although the house on the property was old and built on high blocks, there was also a large
           floored barn, which was sometimes hired out for dancing and the land was fenced off for grazing and crops. William grew corn and at harvest time all were 
           involved.  It was hard work, Harold remembers when he was nine years old;  
                               'I stood on the  wagon to reach the corn and break them off the stalk, at night all hands were in the barn husking and when 
                                this was done we turned on the threshing machine.  On occasions we worked until the early hours so as to catch the coastal 
                               boat for Brisbane.   The husks were not wasted, we cut the inner soft leaves to fill the bed mattresses, they were very warm but 
                               made a lot of noise when one turned over in bed.  The cores were used for fuel for the stove.'

         As well as the  husking, when the potato crops were harvested the children would follow the plough, pick up the potatoes and throw them into a box on the cart. 
        The cows had to be milked in the morning before they went to school across the river in a small flat-bottomed boat.  Somehow William managed to also buy to 
         property across the road with a  riverbank frontage.  On the river bank there was a slaughterhouse nearby and sugar cane fields where the cane would be burnt
         at harvesting and the snakes were prevalent then. The old house on the first property was pulled down and rebuilt on the new property about 25 yards from the 
         river bank and the family lived in the barn in the interim.  The children would watch the heavily cane laden steam driven punts pass by the house. On the way 
         home from school they would call into the general shop and collect the mail after which Harold would stencil sugar bags and receiving as payment for his work, 
         a small paper bag of raw sugar. At school they were taught swimming in the river with a rod, rope and belt and they would jump from the bank, although not 
         wise in the dry season, when sharks would invade the river. Harold writes of this period;
                               'We were still very  poor, our trousers were lined with washed out cotton flour bags and the school lunch was of  damper with 
                                butter and golden syrup, by lunch time this was very hard so I used to exchange mine with another boy who had bread and 
                               home made jam.   As children we were never given pocket money.'
1913: A new bride - the Courtship: It had been three years since Emma had died, Frederick was now twenty-two, Retea was seventeen, William fourteen, Harold was 
          eleven and Vincent eight years old.  The property on the Tweed River was prospering and leaving the children in Lillie’s care, just before the house was 
          finished William went to Brisbane for a short trip where he met twenty-one year old Ivy Sophia Ehlers. Within a few months of the property was now prepared 
          for the arrival of his anticipated new bride. 
          Ivy Sophia Ehlers was born in Melbourne Victoria on the 2nd February 1891, the daughter of Henry Ehlers a German migrant and his wife Susan nee Lucas.  
          Ivy's maternal lineage dates back to the Historic '1st Fleet' 1788 at Sydney Cove, she was the great, great granddaughter of Marine Thomas Lucas [Scarborough] 
          and the great great grandniece  of Melbourne's eminent Founder, Politician and Statesman, John Pascoe Fawkner. See Link to her parents. 

          During the early months of 1913 the now fifty-four year old William continued to take trips to Brisbane to see twenty-two year old Ivy.  She had recently come
          from her birthplace Melbourne to stay for a while at Melbourne Street South Brisbane with one of her siblings who had married and moved north. The courtship
          blossomed William Scard and Ivy Sophia Ehlers were married on the 31st March 1913 at the Anglican Cathedral at Brisbane.  William returned to Tygalah with
          his new bride. A few months later William's mother Mary and her husband William traveled down to Tygalgah to meet her new daughter-in-law.    

                                                                 William's mother Mary [nee Candy[, her 3rd husband John Williams
                                                                                         and Ivy in front of the Tygalgah house.
                                                                   Other photos of Mary [nee Candy] and Ivy are held by the family.
            Mary and John stayed for a very short time but had to return to their business in Yangan. However the marriage did not flower as expected, Ivy was unhappy.  
           William’s children resented the marriage and it was difficult for the young bride. The age difference between William and Ivy was clearly taking it’s toll when
           William’s son Frederick was the same age as his new stepmother and Retea especially, only six years younger did not get on with her new stepmother. After a 
            short while Ivy left William and fled back to her family in Queensland. William quickly pursued her and encouraged her to return.   When they returned to 
            the farm Retea and Frederick left the house and moved to their father’s previous stepfather’s family at the Hillary house at Murwillumbah. The younger 
            children Harold, William and Vincent remained at the farm. 
1914: WWI - Child 14 Ronald ‘Ronnie’ Henry Scard:  Ivy fell pregnant in March, the year following their marriage. She was nearly five months pregnant when the
           'Great War' was declared on the 28th July 1914. Australian forces were already joining their allies in Britain, Ivy’s beloved brother Henry enlisted. Within a 
           few months he was assigned for overseas duty serving in France and later at Gallipolli, Turkey, he was to return but was never again the same man.  
           Meanwhile at Tygalgah, just before Christmas on the 16th December 1914 William and Ivy had their first child, a son, Ronald Henry Scard. Soon after both  
           the Tygalgah  properties were sold and William, Ivy, with the three youngest children Harold, Vincent and baby Henry together with a few possessions, loaded
           the wagonette, hitched up the two horses and were bound for Tweed Heads a short distance from Brisbane. Harold recalls;
                                     'This town was little more than a village and separated from the Queensland boarder by a fence and gate. Coolangatta was 
                                      much smaller. Along the bank  of Corrumbin Creek to the Railway Bridge where the crossing was made, we were almost 
                                      over the creek when the horses and wagonette were in quicksand and started to sink. The horses were unhooked and taken 
                                      to firm land, and a railway gang working on the bridge saw our plight and with ropes and the horses pulled the cart out.'
            Reaching Brisbane, Ivy and William stayed for a while with William’s half brother Stephen Hillary who lived at Bulimba.  Stephen was married and working 
            as a security officer at the local Meat Works. William then decided to make his way to Sydney where his brother Alfred was now living.  Harold  writes;
                                                          'Father sold unnecessary goods and we left Brisbane by cargo ship for Sydney.'

           On arrival in Sydney William and the family went to stay with his brother Alfred who’s marriage had not endured, he and Amy had separated twelve years 
            before-hand.  Alfred was living with his lady friend at Chatswood. This arrangement did not  work out and William, Ivy and the children went to a house at 
            8 Francis Street, Wooloomooloo. With the War there was a shortage of work, William gained a contract in Queanbeyan near Canberra so Ivy and the
            children had to cope on their own for a while. Harold writes;
                                                         'Vincent and myself went to William Street school, we were there for a while. Dad had to work at Queanbeyan.'   
            After William’s contract expired he, Ivy and the children boarded a ship back north to Murwillumbah they traveled via Byron Bay.  Here William bought a 
            house. Vincent attended the primary school there and Harold the High School.  Henry was just over two years old at the time. As always the children would 
            always call their father 'papa', little Ronald followed tradition.
                                                                    L-R Harold Scard 13, Ronald Scard 2 [with his father 'papa's' pipe] & Vincent Scard 11yrs.
1915: The Family re-unites at Murwillumbah: Lillian was still living at Murwillumbah during this time with her husband Bernard and by now had three children;
            Cecil, Geoffery and Betty.  Retea and Frederick were also living there and the family had been re-united once again in the one township. Of all William’s 
            children Ivy seemed to get on better with Lillian who was nine years older than her. Meanwhile Frederick had his eyes in another direction. Harold writes; 
                                             'Frederick had become friendly with a young girl in the township by the name of Retea Youngbutt. They were married 
                                              and shortly afterwards they were blessed with a little girl, Valerie.'
             During this time William became restless and they moved from Murwillumbah north west to Lithgow where Ivy’s half brother John Kay said there was 
             plenty of work in the munitions factory in the town.  When they arrived the Factory was on ‘strike’ and as it persisted William decided that the family 
             should make the journey back to Sydney. 
1916-21: Back to Sydney - the birth of JohnPascoe FawknerScard: There they stayed in a house at 15 Catherine Street Leichhardt and after a short while to 
            Dargan Street, Glebe. Lillian and Bernard also moved to Sydney and were living in Wigram Road Glebe where Bernard had opened a scrap metal yard in 
            Bridge Road. Jobs were hard to get through the Depression and he gave two of the three boys work.  William junior now twenty-two and Harold nineteen.  
            Vincent, now sixteen found it difficult to find work. After a short while William and Ivy with the three boys moved back to Lithgow. Bill remained at 
            Lithgow finding work at the Oakey Park Colliery in the coal industry, he remained there until his retirement forty years later. By 1916 Harold had 
            completed his High School training at the age of 14 years and had qualified for higher education.  His dreams of a career in Medicine were not financially
            realistic for the family so Harold left school and worked as a tailor’s assistant for two shillings and six pence a week.  Lilly had been teaching him music
            over the years and he had become an accomplished and gifted musician.  While at Sydney William purchased and sold three investment properties in the 
            inner Western Suburbs, it was here in one of the houses at Glebe that Ivy gave birth to another son, JohnPascoe FawknerScard on the 22nd May 1821.

1923:  The move to Penrith: Two years later on the 16th June 1923, while reading the Sydney Morning Herald William noticed an Auction of Crown Land was 
            advertised. Offered were nine farms at Penrith along the Western Highway with frontages to the Nepean River. The Auction was held at 3pm 
            25th June 1923 on the grounds and William was there.  He purchased a property of 20 acres with frontage to the Nepean River, the soil was rich and 
            leaving Sydney he and Ivy moved to Penrith where he built a house, grew grain crops and  planted an Orchard.  Vincent went with them getting a transfer 
            to the Railway Depot at Penrith and Harold returned home but found the arduous trip to work each day on the train too tedious and cold in winter 
            traveling in the old unheated corridor carriages, he only stayed three months.  Ronald Henry was now ten years old and had transferred to Penrith School,
            little John was only two. 

1924-25: Two more children born: Sylvia Milbah Susan Scard - BettyMaryTheresa Scard: It was at the Penrith Property that Ivy gave birth to a daughter 
            Sylvia Milbah Susan Scard in the heat of summer on the 17th December 1924.  She was the namesake of Ivy's mother Susan and beloved half sister 
            Milbah. Her father would call her “Girlie” and this pet name was adopted by all the family. She would be known by this name for the rest of her short life. 
            The last of William's children was born eighteen months later BettyMary Theresa at Penrith on the 20th May 1925.  Ivy tells in later life that when Betty
             was born that she felt she needed rest after the birth.  It was harvest time and all hands were needed for  binding hay, William ignored her pleas, it was 
            during this time that Ivy, when lifting one of the bales so soon after childbirth, suffered a prolapsed womb.  At this time there was little that could be done
            and her child bearing days were prematurely ended at the age of thirty-four. The infant Betty was the seventeenth and last child that William would father.

                                                                                                   Ivy Scard and her children at Penrith
                                                                                L-R: John Scard, Betty Scard, Ronald Scard [back], 
                                                                            Sylvia Scard [front] & Ivy Scard 35yrs. Dated 2/12/1926

1927-1931: Return to Sydney - William's mother dies: William sold the Penrith Estate and moved to Sydney where he purchased and resold many properties in the 
            inner city area at Glebe.  William's mother was admitted to the Newington State Hospital for aged Women, Lidcombe, Sydney.  Mary Williams, formerly 
            'Hillary', prior 'Scard' nee Candy died there on the October 1929 at the age of ninety-one. She is buried at Rookwood Cemetery in Sydney and lays beside 
            her daughter Geraldine Theresa Scard.                     

 1932:  Little Sylvia Melbah Scard 'Girlie' dies at age nine:  William and Ivy's young daughter Sylvia contracted Bright's Disease [of the kidney] and died at the 
            Royal Prince Alfred Hospital on the 10th April 1932 - Harold writes; 
                                    "It was at Marrickville when my step-sister Sylvia became ill, and through ignorance of my father was not attended 
                                      to by a doctor, finally one was called in and the little girl was taken to hospital, but it was too late". 
           A large Family Grave was purchased at Rookwood Cemetery, Homebush where Sylvia was interred on the 11th April 1932 age 9 years 4 months. 
           The Tombstone is Large and Ornate headed with young Sylvia's pet name 'Girlie'.  A concrete vase lay at the foot of the grave inscribed 
           "From your loving brother Ron."

1937-1939:  Katoomba - William dies:  William and Ivy then purchased a boarding house at Katoomba when it is believed Ivy's half brother John Kay was also 
           involved. By this time the aging William was nearly blind. William James Scard died on the 27th October 1940 at Katoomba of Miocarditis, Cardio 
           Vascular Degeneration. The informant was J.P.F. Kay [John Pascoe Fawkner Kay] of 182 Bathurst Road, Katoomba. William's body was transported to 
           Sydney, where he was buried at Rookwood Cemetery, Homebush, Sydney. He was survived by his 2nd wife Ivy of twenty-seven years marriage, his 
           surviving children; Lillian Grace aged 56; Frederick aged 50; Retea aged 44; William aged 41; Harold aged 38; Vincent aged 35 by his first marriage and 
           Ronald aged 26; John aged 19; Betty aged 15 by his second marriage.  There were numerous grandchildren. 

            William's widow Ivy Scard [nee Ehlers] survived him a further thirty-six years. Ivy died at Balmain Hospital, Sydney in 1976 at the age of eighty-five 
            and is buried beside her husband William and their young daughter Sylvia in the Family Grave at Rookwood Cemetery.  She was survived by her 
            two sons; Ronald who later died without surviving issue and John who never married, and two granddaughters by her daughter Betty by whom she is
            dearly loved and sadly missed.


Alfred Henry Scard:   Brother of William Scard
                                 Alfred died at Manly 21st September 1951.  Alfred was preceded by his estranged wife Amy who had died fifteen  years prior in 1936. 
                                             They were survived by their three children and their families.    Details withheld

Half Siblings of William Scard by his mother's second marriage;
Stephen Hillary:  Stephen married Margaret Edith Jane Thom in Qld 21st August 1902 and settled at Bulimba where they had issue.  Stephen worked as a 
                                   security officer at the local Meat Works.  Further details withheld.
Berthenier Hillary: Berthenier married James Rigby 3rd March 1897 in Qld. and settled at Inglewood.  Her husband Jim managed a small timber mill and 
                                    also grew wheat on his property.  They had issue. Further details withheld.
Isaac Hillary: Isaac married Harriet Williams 27th Sept. 1898 and had issue.  Further details withheld.
Ellen Hillary: Ellen married Mathew Pettigrew 9th March 1898 in Qld and had issue.  Further details withheld.

Surviving Children of William Scard; 
Lillian Grace Scard: married Bernard Goldman 9th Nov. 1907 by whom she had issue. Further details withheld.
Frederick Wilton Scard: married Rita E. Youngbutt at Murrwillumbah NSW in 1915 by whom he had issue. Further details withheld.
Retea Norine Scard: married Matthew Ward on the 9th Oct. 1926 by whom she had issue. Further details withheld.
William James Scard [the younger]: married Gladys Hanby 1929 Lithgow, NSW by whom he had issue. Further details withheld.
Harold Agustus Scard: married Thelma Olive McKay 8th Oct. 1929 Berala NSW by whom he had issue. Further details withheld.
Vincent Henry Scard: married Gladys Brewer 8th Feb. 1929 Goulburn NSW by whom he had issue. Further details withheld.
Ronald Henry Scard:  ultimately divorced following the death of their young son, did not remarry and died without surviving issue. Details withheld by request.
John PascoeFawkner Scard:  died unmarried and without issue. Details withheld by request.
Betty Mary Scard: married and had issue.  Details withheld by request.